Exercise professionals have an opportunity to work alongside allied health professionals to make a positive difference to the health of someone suffering from an eating disorder. Eating disorders are not
Exercise professionals have an opportunity to work alongside allied health professionals to make a positive difference to the health of someone suffering from an eating disorder. Eating disorders are not indicated by body shape or size. Having an understanding of these serious mental illnesses, knowing what to look and listen for, using appropriate communication and knowledge of referral pathways, exercise professionals and sports coaches can play an important part in recovery.
OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE
Participants will gain an understanding of:
- The characteristic features of anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating and muscle dysmorphia
- The development of an eating disorder
- The need for early intervention
- Eating disorders as a serious mental health concern
- Eating disorders as more than merely a ‘body image’ issue
- The prevalence of eating disorders
- The need for a multi-disciplinary approach to treatment of eating disorders
- The media and its influence on already distorted thought processes
- How to communicate with a sufferer of an eating disorder
- Determine the need for intervention by a health professional (if client not already under their care)
- Work alongside other health professionals to meet the health needs of the client
- Contraindications for exercise
- Appropriate Screening
- Understand appropriate procedures and prescribed supervised exercise to meet the health needs of clients with particular eating disorders.
- Modify language to meet the health needs of their client
- Gain further information from other organisations and professionals
COURSE LENGTH: 7 Hours
WRITTEN ASSESSMENT: 45 min
Certificate of Completion issued on passing of written assessment.
NB: This course is only for those 18 years and over
Cost is $280 per person
Ticket Section Title
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!